I love mac and cheese! I have been on the hunt for a very long time for a good homemade mac and cheese that didn’t break the calorie bank but still had some good flavor. This is my tried and true recipe. I usually make it once a month. The leftovers stay creamy and delicious even after microwaving. It’s good cold too!!
Sounds horribly unhealthy right? Well don’t run away just yet. It’s a hell of a lot better than Velveeta shells and cheese. And you don’t walk away from this feeling like total garbage. Let me share some points that make this a bigger better mac and cheese:
- Velveta shells and cheese 2 cups = 1000 calories
- Chicken bacon ranch mac 2 cups = 675 calories
- The chicken adds protein and breaks up the monotony of the pasta
- I use smart taste spiral pasta which has lots of fiber but still tastes like white pasta. I love this brand! If you haven’t tried it and you love pasta, go get some now!
- Bacon – that’s 8 slices for 6 servings….not so bad huh?
- Healthy choice cream of mushroom helps it stick together. Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste mushroomy at all when it’s done
- Low fat milk
- Fat free sour cream
- Real cheese – sharp cheddar and parmesan pack a flavorful punch.
Intrigued? I thought you might be. It takes some time (about an hour), but it’s worth it and you have lunch for a few days too!
- 2 chicken breasts – seasoned, grilled, and chopped
- Montreal steak seasoning or Johnny’s seasoning
- 8-10 rashers of cooked bacon (reserve grease!)
- Smart Taste Spiral pasta – 1 box
- 3 tbsp bacon grease
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 can cream of mushroom
- 1/2 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 tbsp Onion powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Dill
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 cup sharp cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Panko bread crumbs (optional)